Friday, June 5, 2015

Final Reflections, Off to Swaziland!


I have been reflecting upon all of the observations and experiences I've had during my short month in South Africa. I do miss my family and friends and I look forward to my adventures in Swazi, but I don't really want to leave yet. South Africa has so many beautiful and wild sights to see, but the most priceless gems in this country are the people who live here. I am so glad that I took on the extra burden of planning for this trip in the midst of my 20 s.h. workload. You can't have the view without climbing the mountain. I also think I have a better perspective of what it means to be a dietitian who truly serves the community. Attitude makes the difference between a good dietitian and an excellent dietitian. Also, sometimes the government simply cannot provide for the needs of local communities, therefore local economy and health are largely the responsibility of local communities. Time is too scarce for individuals to simply wait around for the government to hire people to educate their local communities. If you want change, you have to be willing to go out of your way to make it happen. When I get home, I will try to be better at being a part of the change in my local community. I don't plan on being someone who thinks, "When _______ happens, then I'll really have the opportunity to do something great." It is easy to forget that wherever you are, you are in a place of opportunity. I want to thank everyone for reading about my journey thus far. I know I am wordy and often the cheesy kind of sentimental, so I appreciate the graciousness of the comments that I have received. I also want to thank all of the family members, friends, and faculty who encouraged me and prayed for me along the way. I am so thankful that God uses even the most broken people, specifically me, for tasks of growth and reparation. I know my experiences with the UFS in Bloemfontein will ultimately improve my practice as a dietitian, as they have certainly improved my heart and soul.

Blessings,
-Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment